You are viewing the older version of this Weblog. I have left this version available for those of you who do not have Javascript enabled in your web browser.

If you have Javascript enabled and would like to view the lastest version of this Weblog, please go here.

December 19, 2007

Informatio: , , ,

OS2008!

I finally flashed my to the latest operating system release (aka ): (if you are still having trouble with the “official” download, try this).

My immediate impression (of pretty much everything that has been updated) is…

Wow!

Daniel Gentleman (or, ThoughtFix of ) has written an in-depth review of the new OS here. Here’s an excerpt:

IT OS2008As a portable device operating system, OS2008 scores a hit. The interface was built to focus on the Internet Tablet’s primary purpose: Internet use. The shortcuts, WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, and bundled software show that well. OS2008 goes beyond that to give the consumer something of value and interest beyond the browser, too.

I agree with him on pretty much everything.

There are still a few things I’m trying to work out, though:

1. On my virtual keyboard, it now says “EN” (which I’m assuming is an indication that I am using the English dictionary) where the Caps Lock button used to be. So how do I use Caps Lock now? This has been answered in the comments below.
  2. Word completion seems to work a little better in the new OS, but I can’t figure out how to add words to my dictionary now. Has this option been removed in lieu of a more intelligent dictionary?
  3. No matter how I organize my Bookmarks in the Bookmark Manager, it doesn’t seem to reorganize anything in my actual Bookmarks list. Is this intentional?

Other than that, everything is pretty slick… For instance, the Application Manager now saves your selection position (i.e., no more scrolling and searching where you used to be in the application list!). The better-optimized finger navigation is great too — and navigation, in general, is very quick now. And, honestly, restoring all of my most loved apps seemed a lot smoother too (e.g., it only took me an hour or so to do what used to take a few).

So, if you haven’t, download and flash away!

Posted at 09:44 am

Trackback:
Please enable javascript to generate a trackback url

Comments (14):
Actually OS2008SE_1.2007.44-4 is the OS2008 Beta for N800, while this one is OS2008SE_2.2007.50-2 :)

Aniello Del Sorbo () (URL) - December 19, 2007 at 10:49 am

Ah, yes! I apologize and I will fix it. Thanks for catching that! ;-)

timsamoff () (URL) - December 19, 2007 at 11:14 am

Caps-lock? press the shift-‘button’ for longer than a second

Nikem - December 19, 2007 at 11:24 am

I’ve also just upgraded :)
Overall, pretty happy. I can answer 1. since I was wondering the same thing and figured it would make sence if it was tap-and-hold shift, so I tried it, and it worked :)
2. I can’t see an explicit option for this, but it seems to have remembered my username, so I guess it must be doing it automatically.
Also, I’ve noticed that finger tapping doesn’t seem to bring up the thumboard anymore – I have to hit the rocker key instead, despite the option being enabled. And is it just me or is it registering more false double letter taps now?

DarkStarSword () - December 19, 2007 at 11:29 am

About the finger keyboard, try to double-tap with the finger.

Aniello Del Sorbo () (URL) - December 19, 2007 at 11:38 am

Nikem ~ Thank you! That was really bugging me! But, I must admit that it makes the type-by-stylus functionality a bit slower. Hmf.

DarkStarSword ~ Yeah, even with “Launch finger keyboard with finger tap” turned ON in the Settings, it still isn’t working for me. Weird! :-(

timsamoff () (URL) - December 19, 2007 at 11:40 am

Aniello ~ That doesn’t work for me either… But, I did a test and finger-tapping in Notes works like it’s supposed to — just not tapping in, say, my Search Widget.

timsamoff () (URL) - December 19, 2007 at 11:43 am

The Piratebay’s Firmware is old beta one.

jk - December 19, 2007 at 12:53 pm

jk ~ Arg! I didn’t realize that. Fixed!

timsamoff () (URL) - December 19, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Just recently got me an N800 (so that I could continue using my SDHC cards) and also did the update. Liking it more than my first time around with it, though there are some user interface aspects that makes me still wanna throw it.

Antoine of MMM/Brighthand () (URL) - January 09, 2008 at 08:46 am

What are some of your issues? Have you reported any of them to the maemo bug tracker?

timsamoff () (URL) - January 09, 2008 at 08:51 am

My issues aren’t bugs necesarly; they are inherent design and user interaction issues. My computing platform of choice for the past 7 years has been a Palm OS handheld; simplicity towards functionality speaks greatly to me. There are some aspects in that respect that the tablet misses on (and probably should considering its audience).

So no, not a bug, just a user experience/interaction thing that at some point (soon) I’ll blog on and let Nokia/Mameo/IT community know more of.

Antoine of MMM/Brighthand () (URL) - January 09, 2008 at 09:21 am

I’ll look forward to your thoughts, then… Even though you might not consider user interaction stuff “bugs,” per se, they are bugs (imho) if they persist. Logging and explaining valid reasons for change most likely gets them changed!

timsamoff () (URL) - January 09, 2008 at 09:26 am

Good points. I’ve got an article in process now for MMM. Because as Bible readers go, we need a lotta help on the tablet and its just not here.

Antoine of MMM/Brighthand () (URL) - January 09, 2008 at 09:28 am

Commenting has been permanently disabled. Please use the Contact button above.