You are viewing the older version of this Weblog. I have left this version available for those of you who do not have Javascript enabled in your web browser.

If you have Javascript enabled and would like to view the lastest version of this Weblog, please go here.

April 04, 2008

Informatio: , , , ,

The Nokia N95 8GB...

The fine people over at recently sent me a (just on loan for two weeks so that I could check it out). The N95 GB is a nearly $700-$800 cell phone, depending on whether you get it with a plan or not. (Ok, ok. Are you breathing again?) But, for $800, you don’t just get a phone… The N95 8GB has 8GB of internal memory, 128MB RAM, a 5-megapixel camera that can take stills or record video (with a flash, zoom, and a whole bunch of “manual” features), video call capability, an FM radio receiver, GPS, support for a variety of audio codecs, Java and Flash support, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, infrared, A/V output, and more…

Nokia N95 8GBI’ve only just opened the package, so I’m not going to post a full review right now. My first impression is that the N95 8GB seems to be pretty slick. Aside from a slightly brickish form-factor, the user-interface is pretty intuitive and (for a cell phone) the buttons are all easily accessible and feel pretty responsive. The slider aspect of the phone (to access the number/text pad — slide up — or the media player controls — slide down) seems a fragile, but honestly, I’m not sure how many people have handled this phone before me.

With the advent of ‘s , I wonder why companies continue to make all-in-one phones with limited internal memory, no touchscreen capabilities, and without additional memory card slots. Still, the N95 8GB is a small, easy-to-pocket phone and media player with a bunch of features. While I haven’t dived into all of the functionality yet, it looks very promising. I’m really looking forward to seeing how well it connects with and accentuates my .

Posted at 08:59 am

Trackback:
Please enable javascript to generate a trackback url

Comments (6):
Congrats on your new toy, Tim! I’d highly recommend checking out the S60.com site, there’s a great directory of 3rd party applications, both freeware and commercial available there.

Ricky () (URL) - April 04, 2008 at 10:34 am

Thanks, Ricky… I’ll check it out! (Too bad I only have the toy for a couple of weeks.)

timsamoff () (URL) - April 04, 2008 at 11:06 am

I think you’ll enjoy your N95, I got mine a couple days ago and most of the stuff is really great (get yourself the beta of nokia maps 2 – it’s WAY better than the pre-installed version).

Three good things:

• Free nokia maps (tip: download cache from http://nokiamaps.moo.no/)

• Auto-Photo-Geotagging with the Nokia Location Tagger

• all the connectivity-features work just great

• Three flaws:
  • The camera-button is trashy and feels like breaking very soon

• don’t install applications to the mass storage due usb-data-transfer can’t be activated if applications use mass storage. You can’t even set your messages to be stored on the mass storage, or they’ll block the data mode, no matter what you do

• the sliding media-menu (media-button) can be rearranged, but you can’t choose the cards’ contents

Christian (URL) - April 05, 2008 at 06:07 am

I love this phone. I wish it had a touch screen and qwerty keypad (I’m coming from a SE P1i), but all of the features make it a very fun look into the future of cell phones. One fun thing is http://mymobilesite.net which is a web server you can run from the phone. Being able to edit the calendar from a web browser is handy if you don’t have a windows machine.

jefferyb - April 05, 2008 at 11:11 am

Thanks, Jeffrey. I will check it out!

timsamoff () (URL) - April 10, 2008 at 07:03 am

Tim, if you try it out we are happy to hear your comments! Br,
Jukka

Jukka Eklund (URL) - April 28, 2008 at 06:25 am

Commenting has been permanently disabled. Please use the Contact button above.